What's the Price Range for Home Elevators?
The first question most Canadian homeowners ask when considering a home elevator is, "How much does a home elevator cost?" Unfortunately, it's somewhat difficult to get an answer, because a home elevator is not a self-contained unit, like a piece of furniture. It is customized in many areas for the individual home. A single change in style can swing the final package price by eight percent or higher.
Call 888-223-9559 to Locate a Sales Office
Some factors that determine the price range for home elevators are:
- Is it being installed in a new home or existing one? An elevator being retrofitted is more costly.
- What kinds of options are being included? Cab interior selection, hand rail and sliding gates, and automatic gate openers can alter the price from $1,000 to $20,000.
- Capacity and the number of stops: Elevators that carry more than two people and cover every floor from the basement up will be more costly.
- Installation costs: Home elevators can be installed during construction or retrofitted in an existing home. It's recommended they be installed during construction to avoid structural changes. On the average, installation costs range from $5,000 to $10,000.
- What style elevator are you buying? Home elevator styles range from basic, unfinished platforms to fully enclosed cabins with safety gates and interior finishes, such as hardwood ceramic tile, marble, and granite.
The average cost of a home elevator before installation starts at $15,000, with premium models going beyond the $30,000 mark. Prices vary among different brands and are designed to include the basic features of commercial elevators. Some of the features of home elevators also increase the price, including an alarm system, phone connection, electromechanical interlock system, and emergency light and battery backups.
A home elevator is a safe alternative to stairs and an ideal mobility solution for the elderly or physically challenged. It also increases the value of your home by up to 10 percent, and is a unique way to add to add style and functionality to your home.
Look online for home elevators and find one from a respected company that provides a wide selection, professional installation that meets national safety codes for elevator safety, an extended warranty and service after your purchase.
Do your homework, take your time, and don't make a decision after seeing one quote. A big ticket item like a home elevator should be purchased carefully, but when you find a home elevator that meets your needs at a reasonable price, you can buy it with confidence.